I've been singing the praises of BIAB for about 20 years now and I'm always surprised when people say they've never heard of it or never tried it. I've even heard some say the name, "Band-in-a-Box" makes the product sound gimmicky or amateurish. Strange.

Basically, I think most people have enough trouble learning to play and/or sing with any proficiency to get very deeply into the technical aspects of production and mixing. They just want to get recorded. At least that's been my experience.

I've used BIAB for decades, from making backing tracks for students, to creating full-production album projects, and most importantly for my own original music. I'd been recording my own creations since the late 60s with a TEAC reel-to-reel and had spent a lot of time and money in big studios working on projects when I discovered BIAB. The first day I installed it (from floppy discs no less) I stayed up till 2am playing with it. It was the mid 90s and I was in the process of building my own project studio which I wanted to be as self-contained as possible. I wanted to do it all, and BIAB seemed to be the answer to a prayer. Twenty years later I'm still convinced of the validity of that idea.

If you've ever spent any time in a big high-end studio, paying $150/hr or more for tracking and mixing, you know how much BIAB is like a big studio project at a fraction of the cost. Real Tracks and Real Drums has taken the product to the professional level. Some of the current Real Tracks artists are friends on FB. Most of them I couldn't afford to hire even if they didn't live 1,200 miles away.

I watched closely back in '85 while a famous producer brought in the best studio cats to lay down tracks for my first original album project. Not unlike BIAB, he had each sideman play along with the basic tracks and then had them "regenerate" their performance to suit his taste and vision of the song. Sound familiar?

Thirty years later these are my observations: Great players have a broad lexicon of great licks and phrases to add to your song. Local "hot pickers" may be just as talented with a smaller musical vocabulary. But the process is the same. They play along until YOU find something YOU like. Sidemen usually get about $100 per song to do studio recording. It's adds up fast. That first album project cost me about $20k, no small amount in '85. I got a great production and mixing education to be sure. But, since then I've done much better projects with BIAB at a tiny fraction of the cost, both for me and my clients.

I've produced nine full album projects for one well-known Colorado artist/songwriter and I've used BIAB on every song on every album in some way. He claims his albums are better than any he's heard from other local pros. Can't argue with success. I'm to the point now where I figure BIAB should be primarily a producer/engineer music creation tool. And I've pretty much stopped trying to get people to try it. Mostly, I just show them what it can do and let it be. Besides, I get paid pretty well for doing what I do...and who wants the competition. grin Maybe they should change the name to PG Music Authoring Software. Something a little more classy. On second though, just leave it like it is. No need to crowd the market, eh?