In the first discussion of Ira Gershwin's lyrics, “I Got Rhythm”, I looked at the song's rhyme scheme. After writing that post (found via this link), “I Got Rhythm” was defiantly stuck in my brain and, eventually, I found myself wondering what would happen if I used the format of Ira's lyrics as a starting place for a song of my own. And so this second journey began.

The link is below for anyone who'd like to listen to the resulting song.

And if anyone should like to gain a bit more of an insight into how the song was created, please read on...

Quote:
Note: Part 1 of my discussion of "I Got Rhythm" lyrics (here) might provide additional information that's useful for the below discussion.

How I Used Ira's Lyric Model...

Before I could set about using the lyric format of “I Got Rhythm”, it was necessary to analyse the lyrics' structure more fully.

To make things a bit easier, I ignored the introductory set-up verse for the moment and began working on the refrain. The refrain section is in AABA format and can be broken down as follows...

• Each of the three A-sections consists of 4-lines and ends with the phrase “Who could ask for anything more".
  • The A-sections also all pretty much follow the same poetic meter (I'll talk about meter in a little more detail shortly).
  • Each A-section presents a list of items or qualities that the singer possesses.
  • The B-section is the 4-line section that begins with the phrase, “Old man trouble”.

Looking at the poetic meter (i.e. the pattern of stressed and unstressed syllables), I put the following table together.

The A-sections are interesting in that they are a mixture of 2- and 3-feet lines.

Quote:
For those not familiar with the notion of a poetic 'foot', it is a pattern of weak and strong syllables. While a single foot can contain multiple unstressed syllables, it can only contain one stressed syllable. When a line of poetry scans as 6 feet long, this means that there are 6 strong syllables in the line (as well as 6 patterns of weak/strong syllable combinations).

To understand this a little more, consider “Mary Had A Little Lamb” below.

• The forward slash (/) is used for strong syllables.
  • The hyphen (-) is used for weak syllables.
  • Strong syllables are coloured red to help identify them.

Using the terminology of poets, the first line in “Mary” scans as four feet; the second line scans as three feet; etc.

As a second example, here is “Humpty Dumpty”.

In “Humpty”, it can be seen that each line is four feet long. There is also variation in the number of weak syllables that make up a foot.

Quote:
**Knowing the number of strong syllables in a phrase is important for the alignment of syllable with note.

When language is spoken, we talk in patterns of strong and weak syllables. The strongest syllables in a phrase usually belong to those words that have the most important meaning in the phrase. These syllables are always best served by being placed on beats 1 or 3 (in 4/4 time). Being aware of syllable strength and note strength is important for fitting the two together

Back to the lyrics of “I Got Rhythm”...

In the first A section, A1 in the table above, the stressed syllables follow the meter pattern 2, 2, 2 (or 3), 3.

The third phrase is interesting because some singers sing it as two strong syllables (as in, “I got my man”) and sometimes singers sing it as three strong syllables (as in, “I got my man” where 'my' and 'man' a both pronounced distinctly and with stress.

Musically, the second option of three stresses as described above, requires two longer held notes. Using note values, a couple of possibilities for this rhythm in 4/4 are...

Since George Gershwin wrote the music for “I Got Rhythm” in 2/2 (i.e. cut common time), it seemed like a good idea to consider the above in this time. Translating it into 2/2 gives...

The musical option that I've numbered (4) above appealed to me (as a melodic-rhythm possibility for my composition) for two reasons.

• The first reason is that beginning the melody after the downbeat (beat 1) usually enhances rhythm. The synchopation in George Gerswhin's original tune demonstrates this well.
  • The second reason is that if I use the basic rhythm shown by option (4), the melody's first strong beat occurs in bar 2. This creates what lyric theorists call back-heavy lyrics. The effect of back-heavy lyrics is that they help enhance the emotional content of the words. (This could be useful!)

Quote:
Summarising so far...

• I'll begin by looking for lyrics that follow the / - / / (strong, weak, strong, strong) pattern of syllable stresses.
  • Since “I Got Rhythm” is a list song, I'll stay with that format; namely, three lines that list things and the fourth line that gives the list meaning. The fourth line needs to be the same in all sections (this is a poetic refrain).
  • Initially I'll use the 2/2 rhythm shown by (4) above and start the melody after beat 1.
  • Because I'm using cut common time, I'll look for up-tempo BIAB styles around 150 bpm or more.

My favourite lyric writing topics are: tomorrow, sunshine, good times, people laughing, blue skies, sunny days, etc. Playing around with these and trying to fit some phrases to the "/ - / /" melodic rhythm, I eventually arrived at “Give me sunshine”. I decided to use that as the opening phrase.

Modelling Ira, I began the next couple of phrases with “Give me”. That meant that I only had to find words for the last two strong beats in lines 2 and line 3. The first three phrases of lyrics would then be completed.

After some playing around, and keeping in mind that the first A-section always works well if it is rich in imagery, I arrived at...

Quote:
Give me sunshine
Give me blue sky
Give me freedom
And tomorrow I'll be fine

While “Freedom” in line 3 is not strictly two strong syllables sitting side by side, the variation worked for me so I decided to keep it. Also, the above lines have a rhyme scheme of aaxa. Ira had no end-of-line rhyme in his lyrics. Again, though, what I came up with seemed to work well enough so I thought I'd stay with it for the time being.

Where to go with the second A-section?

Still keeping the list format, I thought about where I could next go. Since the list in the first A-section sets the scene with imagery like props on a stage, I thought it might be useful to use the second A-section to give some personal insight. That is, what is important to the singer? This led to the following verse.

Quote:
Give me good friends
Love and fam'ly
Give me laughter

In this second section, I followed Ira's formula of not beginning line 2 with the anticipated repetition of “Give me”. Because the first A-section had an aaxa rhyme scheme, normal practice would be to repeat that rhyme scheme in this second section. Try as I might, though, the phrases I liked were reluctant to rhyme and those phrases that rhymed, I didn't like. As a consequence, I set about linking words through repeated consonants (g, v, f, l). I hoped that this would provide sufficient sonic texture.

The third A-section was next to arrive. For verse development, I wanted this section to have at least one big-picture idea; additionally, I wanted to emphasise the concepts of 'tomorrow' and being 'fine' because, hopefully, this would give a feeling of 'pay-off' at the completion of the lyrics. In this last A-section, I also allowed a couple of extra weak syllables in the lyrics. From experience, I knew that these would create a slightly modified melody and that this, in turn, would help boost the feeling of musical development.

The bridge came along after the three A-sections. As with most of my bridges, I find that it's a good place to get more philosophical. Where Ira used an xaax rhyme scheme in the bridge, I settled on having end-of-line rhymes for the first two lines and then that rhyme to link to a rhyme in the middle of the third line (treasure / measure / adventure). Like Ira, I left the final word on the last line unrhymed so that it could pick up a rhyme in the final A-section. To my ears, 'wine' finds two partners in the third A-section; one with '-rise' and one with 'fine'.

• With the song lyric essentially now complete, I found myself pondering whether or not to have an introductory verse. I didn't think that I really needed it because the lyrics that developed seemed to be self-explanatory. That being said, though, I've never before written an introductory verse to a song. This seemed to be a good opportunity.

Early on in writing the introductory section, I decided to have the verse spoken rather than sung (this is something that sometimes happens in opera). As a consequence, I needed rhymes to hold the verse together but not to intrude on the conversational tone. In the end, I settled on mostly asymmetrical perfect rhymes: makes me/takes me, eyes/surprise, deep/keep.

Below is the completed lyric. While it was inspired by the format of Ira Gershwin's lyrics and George Gershwin's melody for “I Got Rhythm”, my work is also unique in ways that stand outside of the format used by the Gershwins.

Quote:
[VERSE]
Whenever Life makes me stumble
Takes me by surprise
I close my eyes
Breathe deep
And think about the things that keep me going
And make this journey a good one

[REFRAIN]
Give me sunshine
Give me blue sky
Give me freedom

Give me good friends
Love and family
Give me laughter

This life's a priceless treasure
By every measure
It's a bold adventure that beckons like wine

Give me a sunrise
And a thankful outlook
As long as I've got air to breathe
Tomorrow I'll be fine
Tomorrow I will be fine

Now it's time to compose the music...

I hope that this insight will be useful somewhere for someone.
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024