(*I did search for this topic, but did not find it previously addressed. If it has been, please point me to that thread.)

QUESTION: Do you guys peel back the instruments just to do your vocals sometimes? Maybe even use instruments for the vocal recording that would not be in your final mix.

This might be because of my bad hearing, I'm old as dirt, or a product of the way my home studio is set up with lower-end equipment (I do have a sound controlled room with no bounce-back, several mics and several headphone models I try).

To keep me too off key, I find that I need to sing against fewer instruments, that don't overwhelm my hearing/voice, like a light, consistent percussion for the beat like just side sticks or shakers, and keys with held cords, with a rhythm instrument(maybe guitar, but not anything solo) low enough so I can hear myself, but loud enough to keep me in the melody. Then I add the track to the DAW and add instruments to see what does and doesn't work.

The drawback for me is then the vocals sound lighter than the full version with all the true instruments added in.

How do you guys handle producing vocals? And my voice is not pristine and flute-like, so I can't have great expectations for it, but I wondered if there are any tips out there in BIABland.

Thanks for any input.

Andy

BIAB 2017 Ultra
Windows 8 and 10
Scarlet 18i8
Reaper and Mixpad