Originally Posted By: eddie1261
<...snip...>
I just can't imagine needing 550 songs, Notes, but I don't really know what you do. <...>

I suppose everyone has their own situation. Here is why we need 1,000 songs (working on that)

1) We play a variety of venues.

* Our weekly outdoor marina gig requires a good deal of Caribbean music, Calypso, Soca, Reggae and tropical music like Jimmy Buffett, Bertie Higgins and so on

* One of our yacht club gigs likes a long dinner set of mellow music followed by one hour of dance music

* The gig we played last night (and we've been a regular ther for about 20 years) likes a lot of line dances. We know about 10 songs that we play there and nowhere else

* The condo gigs require a lot of oldies

* New songs come and go, even with the adult audience, "Love Shack" died when "Blurred Lines" came in. "Uptown Funk" still works while "All About That Bass" is fading. "Happy" seems like it will hang around a while, etc. Next year there will be new adult-crossover hits

2) We play a lot of our clubs again and again

* New songs keep us fresh. Our weekly gig is in our ninth year, some monthly gigs for over 20. Plus people follow us from gig to gig, the enjoy new music from us

3) Requests

* When a regular fan asks for a song, if it is appropriate and if we can learn it, we will. And when we see that person again we'll play it without being asked. It makes that person feel special, and it should, because our fans are special to us.

4) We thrive on new songs

Songs go through three phases (1) An adventure - they are new, and not fully explored yet and each play can turn up a new discovery (2) Peak - you are totally in command of the song, it's just a lot of fun to play and you get into the zone immediately (3) Familiar - it's like a lover you have been with a long time, still great, comfortable, but not the fireworks that it was during peak time.

So why not over 550 songs? We're probably up to over 560 now but I haven't counted in a while.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks