Yes, robocopy is a command line utility. I create a batch file to run the robocopy commands on the folders I wish to process.

I generally use two different forms of robocopy:

robocopy "source-folder" "destination-folder" /e /s /mir

(which means make the source folder the master folder and make the destination folder look just like it, even if it means deleting files, overwriting older files, or adding new files)

robocopy "source-folder" "destination-folder" /e /s /xo

(which means copy everything in the source folder to the destination folder, but only if the file in the destination folder is older or doesn't yet exist. This command does not delete anything in the destination folder, only update files and add new ones.

Another thing I do is the very first time I run Robocopy on a system is to include the flags:

/w:1 /r:1 /reg

(this says that if the file can't be written (which happens with some system files that are open by the O/S), then just "wait" 1 second and "retry" 1 time, and "reg" means to write that to the registry so it remembers it everytime you run robocopy. That's why you only have to do it the first time you run the program. If you don't do that, the default number of retries is one million and the default wait time is thirty seconds. That means that one file can pause your copy by 30,000,000 seconds (8,333 hours) before moving on. You really don't want that to happen. Another precaution is to include the /xj option, which can cause recursive copying and extremely deep folder structures. Usually only happens with system files, not data files, but just a warning.)

Hope this helps.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com