That is all so interesting. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla I guess. (Alistair, I'm definitely not talking about jazz, below. That is complex and I see your point.)

Speaking only to lyrics, (and having access to a teleprompter aside, and not including piano where sheets are well hidden and right at eye level), at a base level like mine where I wouldn't need sheet music for the melody's sake, I find anyone reading lyrics distracting and it sucks the soul out of the song. It is so obvious when they have to return to the sheets, find their place, and read-sing for a while. I use a set list on the floor, and if I have the foresight, I include the first few words, and/or the one #$(% word or phrase I always seem to have problems with, or recently changed.

I think as long as you depend on sheets, you will never learn the lyrics. I like the "I'd love to but it's not in my set list right now and I'd hate to screw it up for you," and the above, "We don't do that one right now, but I think you will like this one."

Now, someone who can do it in a seamless way is another story, but I've rarely seen it. Last summer at an outdoor event a gust of wind blew dozens of pages off a well known touring pro's stand, and it stopped them cold, and she could not continue with any songs until they were gathered. She was super pissed (at the wind and at stage hands and anyone nearby), but I'm sure she was extremely embarrassed. They were her standard songs.

Andy

BIAB 2017 Ultra
Windows 8 and 10
Scarlet 18i8
Reaper and Mixpad