I'm having a problem with my wife's computer.

When it is running, all computers on the WIFI/DSL Lite network run slow (0.04Mbps). Turning her computer off or turning the WiFi network off on her computer solves the problem on the other computers, we're back to normal DSL Lite speed (±1.3 M depending on time of day). IMO This definitely isolates the problem to her computer.

Her computer also runs dreadfully slow on non-Internet apps, but when I turn off the WiFi so that it is not accessing the Internet, it runs at normal speed. (I have her WIFI network permanently turned off until this problem is fixed.)

I ran both an AV and Malwarebytes scan and they show no problems.

I restored her hard drive to a point before when she was having a problem. This seemed to fix it for about a half hour, then it went back to it's slow state. (I always thought an Acronis disk image would solve all problems, but I guess it doesn't.)

I might try an earlier image thinking that the kit may have been asleep on the HD for a while before activating (wild guess on my behalf). Does this make sense?

Googling around on the net, I'm beginning to suspect a rootkit. Note: I'm not a computer guru, I get along with them, but am completely self taught; That means I don't know what I don't know and don't know what I might need to know (if you know what I mean).

So I downloaded RootKit Removal apps by Kaspersky, McAfee, and Malwarebytes (beta) and am wondering what may be the safest and easiest for a non-guru and best tool for detecting and/or removing a Root Kit if that's what her problem is. (I'm extremely shy about the Malwarebytes tool, because it is Beta and there is a big disclaimer basically saying that if it screws up your computer to the point where it is a doorstop, tough luck.)

Is there a better one out there?

This is unsettling because Leilani is careful and she doesn't open attachments or go to weird sites. That suggests to me that anyone can get hit with a kit. We also went to one of my working computers and changed her important passwords.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by Notes Norton; 11/27/16 05:02 AM. Reason: You would think proofreading before subit wold have worked ;)

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks