Originally Posted By: Pumps2
Originally Posted By: colly
Why.....!
What good would 64 bit give us as biab users ?.

Sound "quality" involves a lot more than bit depth and compression levels. There is a whole universe of technology that can do amazing things to enhance the overall impact of the sound. When I take BIAB tracks into a DAW where I can use the full palate of tools, I can create a much higher impact product. In most cases, if I could simply use some of those effects directly under BIAB, I could get close to the same results with much less work.

In short, the sound coming out of BIAB today might sound pretty good compared to the days of tinny sounding GM softsynths. But it is an UNPOLISHED sound, clearly inferior in a world that raises the bar every year. PGMusic really needs to play better with others. Their strategy of ignoring the rest of the music technology world and trying to lock their users into a walled garden is just not very appealing to me.

And for the same reason, I have very little use for the PGMusic realtracks. Give me great MIDI lines and I can run that through the best VST instruments out there.

I've followed this thread and the other similar ones from the sidelines but your post here is the best expression of the value of BIAB 64 bit enhancement for me and my use that I've seen.

Dr. Gannon has stated elsewhere that 64 bit is not an enhancement to BIAB or accessed by the core programming. You are quite correct in your statement that an entire universe of audio enhancement products exist that musicians, engineers and producers of every level of expertise have or can access.

There already exists a simple and clear path from BIAB that technicians at each and every level of expertise can use to give BIAB midi/RealTracks/Realdrums and midi supertracks access to this universe.

I think the end result this upgrade presents is we get another product that enlarges the existing audio enhancement universe but has no effect other than a minor convenience to reach a portion of it from within BIAB. No additional BIAB memory access. No additional channels. No 24 bit resolution or no audio enhancement of the existing audio tracks that benefit the entire BIAB community and not just the community of 64 bit users.

However, my guess is that the entire community of BIAB will suffer a significant price increase given the manhours, research and development, reprogramming and software development required to convert and upgrade the program to 64 bit.

How many 64 bit proponents will abandon the external existing audio enhancement universe, their preferred DAW and go to exclusive use of BIAB when it becomes the convenient 64 bit? None.

Likely, this 'upgrade' will lead to "now that we have 64 bit, we should be able to _______. So we need PGMusic to develop this next functionality."

Is zero enhancement of existing internal BIAB audio and zero abandonment of the existing audio enhancement universe = Entire BIAB community suffers price increase truly a value? BIAB has many strengths that would better benefit development in my opinion and would be more palpable to accept a price increase. No offense to anyone intended, nor is this an attempt to change any minds. Just a statement of my understanding to the value of a 64 bit version of BIAB.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 11/28/16 05:48 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.