I found the best WAV to MP3 converter to be CDex (open source - free - but if you like it a small donation helps).

Years ago, when HD storage maxed at 2G (with an external Jaz drive - anyone remember those?) I did a double blind test with a few musicians. One I know had her hearing tested recently with no damage.

Why musicians? They listen better than the average person.

So I set up my PA set behind the test subjects and ran various backing track sequences I created
  • direct out of the bank of sound modules I used to create the tracks
  • uncompressed WAV
  • Various bit rate MP3s ripped with CDex always at the highest quality rating (q=0)

I conducted the tests and then switched channels in the PA Mixer so that if one channel had a different frequency response, it would show up. The results were the same even after channels were swapped.

I also ran the volume at about 75db A weighted, slow response, because a lot of volume saturates the ear which can hide things.

I also used different styles of music from ballads to swing to rock to Caribbean.

The results were:
  • As expected, the listeners couldn't tell the difference between the music coming out of the synth modules and the Wav files
  • At 128kbps or lower everyone could tell the difference.
  • At 224kbps or higher, for all practical purposes nobody could tell the difference
  • At 192kbps they all agreed that there was a very slight noticeable reduction of the highest of high frequencies

Since storage was very limited at the time, I generally play in less than pristine listening environments (clubs, rec rooms, marinas, etc.) I decided on 192kbps, q=0 with the CDex ripper. I'd probably go 224kbps or WAV today, but I stick with 192kbps so the new ones don't slightly out-shine the old songs.

Note it was a thorough but non-scientific test, but I trust the results. Also, ripping with anything other than CDex invalidates the results. One more thing, I did not use VBR (variable bit rate) because some of the mp3 players at the time (early 2000s) often had glitching problems with VBR MP3s.

I hope this helps a bit.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks