Well, it's been a month and I still have the same problem, this time trying to get a monitor mix. My sister visited me again this weekend.

I was not getting any vocal in the cans until I realized that it was because the vocals were so low the music was completely overpowering them. I thought I was having a problem with my config but then I solo'd the vox and I could just barely hear them so I was getting monitoring it just was so low as to be totally unusable.

This time I was using all Real Tracks. I created the song first in Biab then opened it in RB. The RT's all came into RB as good solid waveforms just like you're screenshot Herb. Since I only had 5 RT's I did use the sliders to take them down to around -20 or so and had the vox track maxed out. What happened then was the headphone output from the UR22 was so low that she could barely hear anything and this is with the headphone volume pot maxed out. So then I broke out my 15 year old mixer I hadn't used in years, took the audio outs into that along with the phones and boosted the output. Finally I had a strong monitor mix.

What is the deal here? I'm dealing with someone with a big vocal range. Her softer sections show on the meter as around -15 to -20 or so while her strong sections are between -6 to -3. That paints a waveform on the track that's overall puny. As a test I had to do a gain change of 9 or 10 to get it to look like the bass or guitar RT's.

Part of this could be the mic I guess. I'm using a Shure AXS 1 which sounds great, it's a dynamic mic that to me sounds cleaner than the venerable SM58. Maybe it's not sensitive enough to produce a strong signal when she's singing softly? Is there not a way to have RB internally boost an input that's being recorded in real time without clipping? I don't mean compression I mean a simple gain boost. As I said I could easily use 7 or 8db of boost and not clip so why does RB record it so low?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.