Originally Posted By: eddie1261
<...snip...>

And that is why I DON'T play music.

I feel for you.

Me? I'm the opposite, I enjoy Mustang Sally in front of an audience and the peak is my improvised sax solo in the middle, which at times gets applause. I also enjoy playing complex music. In the 1980s I was in the house jazz band where people like Ira Sullivan, Red Rodney, Duffy Jackson and others would come and sit in (the guitarist in the band used to teach at the University of Miami and played with Ira for a few years, so he knew a lot of heavyweights). I also played in a concert band, and mostly enjoyed Romantic to Contemporary era "classical" music.

I don't do it to impress people, I do it because it's fun. Even when the jazz heavyweights were on the stage and I knew some were much better than me, it was fun.

What I don't do anymore because it's boring and repetitious is watch TV. I cut the cable in the 1980s, never installed an antenna, and never got a digital converter. Full disclosure, I have the one-at-a-time DVD in the mail subscription to Netflix. I watch a movie perhaps twice a month. And that is the absolute only time the TV is turned on.

Everybody plays differently, and I enjoy playing music.

Yes, we work at it, but the work is in all the preparation, not in the performance, that's pure joy.

I'm sorry it doesn't work for you anymore.

If you came to hear us, you might not like the stuff we play, but I might impress you with one of my improvised solos, or maybe not. We don't do much jazz anymore.

But I'm not up there to impress people. I'm up there to have fun and share the fun with at least part, and hopefully most or all of the audience.

To each his/her own.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks