Dear Anyone.

I'm having huge problems wrapping my brane, such as it is, around synths - despite trying vainly to follow MANY YouTube videos I've still never succeeded in recreating the sounds their videos tell me are 'so simple'. So I've got 2 questions, the second one will depend on the answer to this one

If you've got the same kinda wave form and the same kinda LFOs and other controls as the guy on the video, even if his synth's got a different name from yours, should you be able to end up with the same/similar noise coming outta the speakers? I've got controls and waveforms with the same/similar names so is it me being dumbass that I can't get the same sounds or is it more probably because I don't have the selfsame synth as the guy in the video?

Be honest, I can take it! I'll post Question 2 after someone answers this cos what the second question might be will depend on the answer to the above. I'm more lost than a guy with a map in a foreign language right now, so I apologise for the dumbassness of the first (and possibly second!) questions in advance. Can't make my music without having the right sounds first, though (can't do a guitar solo on a ukulele, can you!?!)

Yours hopefully
Alan