Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
Why we let people exploit us is the mystery to me.
  • Open mic nights - the owner/management gets paid, the bartenders get paid, the wait staff gets paid, the janitors get paid and the musician works for free, plus he/she even brings friends and family in to make more money for the people who are getting paid
  • Playing anywhere for 'exposure' - same as above
  • Bad deals with record companies and streaming companies - similar to above

If you want to play for free, there is nothing wrong with that. Find a charity you like, play in a public park, a neighbor's house, a party, or any other non-commercial place you want. But if it's a business and the management and staff are getting paid, don't play for free, you are only being exploited.

This old argument seems to resurface around here from time to time. And the point about playing open mics is just wrong! smile

Open mics are a way for venues to try and make a little profit on nights when no one is coming in to drink. I have attended and performed at many and they are generally poorly attended with the performers, and maybe a friend or two each, making up the entire "audience".

And most of the performers tend to be amateurs who are testing the waters or just experiencing the thrill of being on a stage. These are typically folks who will never be paid to perform anyway.

Quote:
In addition you are harming the ability of both yourself and other musicians to make a living by playing music

This one always cracks me up! We are all here because we use software to eliminate paid musicians in our live performances, recordings and/or practice sessions! Using your "logic", if you are using BIAB or RB you are putting other musicians out of work! That drummer and bass player and rhythm guitar player and keyboardist who have to work as Walmart greeters could be making a living playing music if you were not using software to eliminate their jobs! And Notes, you actually make money selling tools to help others eliminate paid musicians!

My view is playing open mics AND using BIAB are both just fine! And I don't lose any sleep over the poor buggy whip makers who lost their jobs when those newfangled automobiles ruined the horse and buggy industry either. Progress changes things. Ya gotta stay sharp and adapt. Or you might end up in one of those Walmart greeter positions. laugh

Edit: and no offense intended to Walmart greeters! It's a job and if you are working good for you!!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 01/13/17 07:01 AM.