I agree about the M50's, they have a slightly boosted low & high end. Most every review states this, and listening to them confirms it.

The M40x has been my go-to headphone since they came out, and before that the M40fs. To MY ears they are the flattest in freq response of all the phones I have tried, and I tried a LOT. smile

The Mids are what got me, not piercing at all, but every instrument & vocal line clear as a bell, every reverb tail & EQ move absolutely audible. BUT I find them uncomfortable after 1 1/2 -2 hours, to the point of being done for the day. The ear cups are an oval shape, and they fit slightly on the entire circumference of my ear, not around it. cry

My good ol' AKG240's are THE most comfortable I have ever wore, but they are far from flat...I would not trust a mix done thru them like I would the M40x.

The biggest complaint I have about most all headphones is that they are collapsible...I HATE that "feature". I remove mine often to check the tracks on my monitors (Fostex 641's, PMO.4's, and 6031) and they are ALWAYS collapsing on one side or the other, making quick adjustments a pain! mad

As rharv says, it IS worth the trip to wear as many as you can, to really "feel" them on your head, the pressure they apply to your ears is everything IMHO...just take some sanitary wipes with ya, to be on the safe side... cool

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10