Originally Posted By: rharv
FWIW
In my experience, this is *sometimes* caused because the effects have a buffer that runs beyond the end of the song (time wise). This has happened here in other DAWs also.

To try and explain; if your FX take more time to actually 'happen' than the song is long, it will be abruptly stopped and be interrupted and cut off. The program stops before the sound should.

I've seen this issue also result in the buffer emptying itself the next time you hit 'play' (and causing a thwack/click when you click play and the song starts).

Give the song enough time to let the FX finish emptying their buffer.
IOW, make the song longer. Usually just recording empty space at the end of any track will accomplish this.
In my experience, recording a couple seconds of audio (on any given track at the end of the file) always solves this.

You've succinctly described my situation, except I'm still working in MIDI and not audio. Even with the MIDI "song" I've written, if I can get the tracks to run a bit longer, I can have the effects natually die out as the clock is running, which is all I'm after. I've been able to accomplish this in another DAW I own: Studio One 3, a decent DAW, my biggest criticism being that it doesn't support musical notation. And unfortunately PreSonus hasn't seemlessly integrated Notion with Studio One 3 yet (PreSonus owns both Studio One and Notion, which is a good notation-based sequencer). So I was able to trasfer the MIDI file over to Studio One and work with it in terms of voices/instrumentation and effects, but when it comes to try and modify the musical elements, it's very difficult for me because I don't really know how to interface with it just using a computer keyboard and mouse.

Which is why I decided to give RB a shot. It doesn't have all the nice voices built in the way Studio One does -- or I dunno, maybe it does. Seems like every time I try to use Super MIDI or whatever it's called, the system locks up and pukes. I've had no luck so far in getting anything more than a few basic Coyote sounds, then finally got another soft synth to work. So maybe there's hope for RB yet.