As one who is not a strong singer but did my own singing anyway (or it really wouldn't have been MY album) I expected a LOT of bullet holes as people listened, but those who commented were kind and for the most part positive. I have been on the other end of that where people say "and be honest with me" and some times it was so bad I ran out of noncommittal ways to say "suck", but I would just say "Keep working at it. You can never stop improving." And here is where those words came from.

There was a guy here, Phil Palumbo, that passed away what seems like forever ago. He was a great sax player and an even better showman. I happened to be out where he was playing and some kid sax player asked to sit in. They did some old tune (Perdido, maybe). And honestly this kid stunk the place out, but Phil, with all his grace and tact, let him know gently that he needed to keep at it. He said something close to "You have some good roots there. Now just keep working at it." Phil lived in a very positive place where he always thought that there was no value in spreading negative energy. I never once heard him be anything but positive and encouraging to young players. One by one his old players are joining him in jazz heaven, one of whom was one my favorite profs in college who passed in 2016.

Any creative field requires that the artist be willing to accept criticism.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.