Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Ok there isn't a weak that goes by that I don't hear many demos of singers, or instrumentalists.
The issue I'm having (and I'm sure it's not just me by any means) is the number of people who truly believe they are pro...and are nowhere close. I mean REALLY far away from pro...but argue or insult you when "they want the truth." I'm tactful, I promise I am. I swear there are many delusional people out there!

I totally agree with all of your above observations.
Just because we've written something with sincerity and it took a long time to finish doesn't mean it has any appeal (for whatever reason) to the masses.

Since I've been here, I may have commented on a 1/2 dozen songs in the Showcase forum because I thought they were good vocals, well recorded and with interesting lyrics/subject.
If it doesn't stand out with those criteria (from my perspective) I just don't say anything. (of course, genre preference would play a role too)
I have no desire to insult anyone with what one may call brutal honesty anyway.
Plus, I'm a nobody in the music world.

It means little to me what my family members think of my work....family members will always tell you 'it's a great song'.
It's opinions from peers, those better than myself and those that are outside of my personal social orbit that have much more critically objective merit.

I said it before....if anyone puts there material on the internet for public commentary/critiquing one must have the skin of a snow tire.
All comments should be accepted if one asked for them.

Me...I have (4) BIAB songs but have not solicited any comments of them on this forum that I recall.
If I did want opinions from this respectful group it would be specific questions only...'what do you think of my mix on this one, is the sax stepping on the vocals, is the bass too loud'.
I would never ask 'what do you think of this song?'
Why?...because I would not ever expect anyone to actually like the song generally speaking.
But, the academic/mixing help here would be invaluable to fine tune a song.

That's my take on it....I did try to be brief.

Carry on...

(Oh...I am finishing my 5th BIAB'er now...maybe I'll get brave and solicit for something :))

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 01/25/17 10:53 AM.