Howdy, folks...

Amongst whatever comments and/or critiques anyone may have about this song, I would ask sincerely if any of you could direct me to documentation about how to mix tracks in a recording.

The subject and practice is bewildering to me. In the sequencer, when I increase the instrument track volume, it "clips" the meter, which causes me to correct the volume by lowering it, and that makes the track hard to hear. So, I try techniques such as compression, which increases the volume until it "clips", so again I lower the volume and can't hear the track. I end up going 'round, and 'round, and 'round on that frustrating circuit. And then, I try panning the instruments, but they seem to lose "body" and volume as I pan to the left or right, until, finally, I admit I get irritable with the whole process and "take what I can get."

Hah! Good thing I live alone, huh?! Can't throw things at myself! laugh So, anyone's help would be deeply appreciated.

Any old way, here's the song info:

Style is J!MANCNI.STY (Jazz-Mancni2 - Slow Pop Ballad)
Style MIDI Instruments are : Acoustic Piano (1), Acoustic Guitar (26), Slow Strings (50),
RealTracks in song: 398:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Paul Sw 140 ('2' only)
RealDrums in Song: JazzBrushes2FeelAtB: a: Brushes, Kick b: Brushes
Soloist is #490, Sax, Alto, Jazz Ballad Sw 085, courtesy of Mr. P. J. Perry.

I used a Miroslav Phlharmonik patch for the tremolo strings, Edirol Orchestral for the slow strings section; a steel guitar patch from Edirol Super Quartet and an upright piano patch from Kontakt 4/Vir2 Instruments. The melody was originally patched to a bandeneon from Edirol VSC to lend a "French" sound, or feel, to the song.

The vocal track was provided by a singer named Courtney Grace who I found on the Web. I e-mailed to her an mp3 of the song, she recorded it herself...and "nailed it" the first time around. You can check out her songwriting and performance artistry at http://courtneygracemusic.com/

Thank you for reading this and listening to the song!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1321235&content=music

Sincerely,

"bluage"

-------------------------------------------------------

VERSE ONE

How do you know when someone loves you?
How should the words sound when you hear them?
And though you feel like falling
It’s such a long way down…

VERSE TWO

Because he tells you that he needs you
Is that what makes a friend, a lover?
Things happen, oh, so, swiftly
No time for answers to, questions you’ll never ask him…

BRIDGE

He sends you flowers
He holds the door
And when you’re dancing
You own the floor

Why break the spell?
You know him well
Yet, doubts still linger

Is he enough?
If times get tough
Will romance fade?

VERSE THREE

How do you know when someone loves you?
How should the words sound when you hear them?
And though you feel like falling
It’s such a long way down…

VERSE FOUR

Because he tells you that he needs you
Is that what makes a friend, a lover?
Things happen, oh, so swiftly
No time for answers to, questions you’ll never ask him…

Last edited by bluage; 01/27/17 10:56 PM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".