Peter, I'm responding to this specific request:

"I'd be interested in hearing recommendations for the best audio interface for a beginner to DAWS and Band-in-a-Box."

MIDI I/O is almost not needed any longer because even relatively cheap Casio and Yamaha portable keyboards, as well as very inexpensive keyboard controllers have USB based MIDI I/O.

As for audio interfaces, external interfaces require no screwdrivers or opening of computers - so I would highly recommend an external interface, and for that matter, USB 2.0 at minimum for the speed.

As for the specific interface's mixer software (quite important), I have experience with TASCAM, PreSonus, and Focusrite and of the three, the PreSonus had the easiest to use mixer interface, and the Focusrite the most difficult.

However, I believe the customer support is the best on Focusrite and their software offerings that they give to registered owners is simply outstanding.

Focusrite beginner interfaces are available through Best Buy, for those potentially interested parties that don't want to buy on-line or at a Guitar Sinner (sic) store.

What this also means is that Craigslist and Kijiji is full of Focusrite low-channel count interfaces for less than new prices compared to any other brand.

When I am asked this question, I jump right back to the questioner and ask them what they want to do; why are they interested in the first place?

If they answer that they want to record with a microphone in any way, then for a beginner, I ask if they have other audio gear.

Why, because I need to find out if they have a mixer, with phantom power in particular.

Often times the answer is no, and then I would recommend that they look for an interface with at least one XLR connector as an input with phantom power available.

I ask if they plan to record any kind of keyboard input; whether acoustic or electronic keyboard; portable; controller, etc.
If they say electronic or controller, I ask if it has a USB input. If they say 'yes' then they have a little homework to do - to find out if that USB connection functions as a MIDI input.

(I believe PG's software works to have two different USB devices for IO, one for audio and one for MIDI, correct?)

Then I ask if they want to record in any electric guitar or bass; and here it's to help decide if they need line and instrument level input (most interfaces have a way to do both now).

Very often this puts them in the around $100 Focusrite Scarlett series, or similarly priced PreSonus Audiobox.

Either one is a good choice.