How do, "Janice & Bud"!

Your advice about using a "reference song” is so simple and sensible that it seems like "genius", which as far as definitions go, I interpret primarily as the ability to see things in places where no one else was looking smile. I mean, really, you two, that's some hugely useful advice.

The only problem is, there are so many songs that could function well as "references" that, now, I can't make up my cotton-pickin' mind frown!

Actually, three specific songs come to mind: Jerry Leiber & Mike Stoller's 1969 hit sung by Peggy Lee, "Is That All There Is?", Francis Lai's theme for the 1966 film, "A Man and A Woman", and Gene Raskin's "Those Were The Days", sung by Mary Hopkin in 1968.

Don't tell me, I already know! In terms of songwriting and music production expertise, I am aiming so high that if I was on a ladder, I would fall so fast, and so hard, that when I hit the ground I'd just keep going 'til I shot out of the other side of the planet. Wheeeeee!

I can see the headline, now: “Composer Tunnels Through Earth After Fall From Rickety Ladder, Writes Hit Song About The Experience: ‘Down -- and Really Dirty’.

But, seriously, folks, as "How Do You Know..." gave birth out of a seed, branched out of my mind and heart, and grew musical and lyrical leaves, those three songs were the ones that kept on knocking at my muse's door. I cannot tell you why. They just did, not that I was attempting consciously to emulate, imitate, or copy them, but there just was something about them -- the feel, the sound, the mood -- yes, the mood, especially -- that loomed over me and chased away everything else.

Anyway, as I said, your suggestion is immediately applicable to the end I am seeking, and could mesh nicely, even, with all the other generous and comprehensive advice I've received in response to the thread that Floyd Jane advised me to start in the forum, “Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production.”

Janice & Bud, thank you so much! I wish you and the rest were my next-door neighbors -- so I could steal your songs.

Truly,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".