Originally Posted By: bluage
Hello, Mr. Jane...

So, based on what I read in your very informative post, it would seem that songwriters who publish their own songs have a bit more potential to profit from their compositions. Would that be correct?

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

Yes. Publisher's share is 50% of the deal and writer's share is the other 50%.

However, if you have to have the connections, and are willing to work as hard as a publisher works for you, by plugging your songs to the end users, whether they are artists or production companies, then yes, you can make the full 100%.

Many artists as they get bigger and gain "star power", eventually set up their own publishing companies. They then either become publishers of their own material out right or split the publishing with another publisher who probably does most of the work. It's an easy way for a big artist to not only get the writer's share (split between the writers on a given song) but also to pick up a percentage of the publisher's share as well which is generally a 50/50 split between the 2 publishing companies.

Essentially, anyone who self posts their music to i-tunes or youtube is self publishing without the connections of an established publishing company, and we all know how little money that makes for you.

Owning a small percentage of a large amount certainly beats owning 100% of nothing.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.