Here are the things that work for me:

1.) I listen to other people's music all the time. Especially the forum, there is some fresh stuff on here. Lots of cool ideas. I like wandering through the weird stuff and alternative on Spotify for ideas but I stay away from mainstream. It gives me a pounding headache.

2.) I open up BIAB (turn it on like Herb says) and study those demos like crazy. There are thousands of wicked chord progressions in there.

3.) I tune my guitar to really weird tunings so I don't get stuck in a rut--and I search for new progressions.

4.) I write a lot on the piano so I don't get stuck in a guitar rut either.

5.) I collaborate with other people and ask them to throw me ideas and snippets. Sometimes all it takes is a phrase to get you going. Herb and I are doing that on a new one right now.

6.) I keep a small hand held digital tape recorder by my bed. The best lyrics always come to me just as I am about to fall asleep or when I am waking up and if I didn't record them immediately they would be lost.

7. Last but not least, I play for fun all the time. I never stop playing. I am always plugging something in somewhere.

I guess that's what Herb means by turn it on. My version was a little longer I know.

smile