Originally Posted By: TrebleBass
Hello,

I am about to send off a full song I created in Garage Band to
A professional recording house so they can mix and master
The track. I composed all music, lyrics, vocals and instruments
myself. I live in Canada, but the recording studio is in California.

My question is, by default does the recording house have any
Rights to my song after they have mixed it and mastered it?

They may do some trivial minor fixes like re-do a harmony line
but that's it.

And are they able to copyright my song without my consent?

Confused about this .... if anyone can help I would be very great full!

Thanks

1. No. They are doing work for hire and they are NOT contributing anything to the mix. Mixing and mastering is not something they can claim copyright on. Their contract with you should explain that to you.

2. Technically..... no. Possibly ... perhaps. There's nothing to stop anyone who obtains a copy of your work to file a copyright. Will it happen? The chance is close to zero. As in zero dot zero, zero, zero zero, zero one. (just a guess, probably even less) You should always deal with reputable people. I'm sure there's a Canadian copyright office for you. If you fear someone might steal the song.... not very likely at all.... you should pay the copyright office in Canada and get the song covered so you can sleep better at night.

In reality, the chance of someone stealing you song is infinitesimally small. Most songs are not worth stealing. Yeah I know that's hard to believe because you, me and everybody else just wrote the next multi-platinum world wide smash single..... but the reality is quite the opposite.

But I answered the questions.... hope it helps.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/12/17 02:33 PM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.