Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
I think the selling point of the BOSE isn't that it compares favorably as a dance band system. Obviously, for gigs where you need THUMP,a system with big speakers is required to move that much air.

What the BOSE brings to the equation is lots of clarity at low volumes, and excellent sound distribution.

Especially for gigs at places like restaurants and retirement homes, BOSE systems are perfect because they don't compete with the conversation the way other systems do.

An old band buddy of mine went to work for the cruise lines as one of the solo entertainers you often see set up in the small bars and lobby areas on cruise ships. They provided the sound system and mic, and he essentially walked in, plugged his laptop in, his guitar and modeling amp, and played his music.

He said that they upgraded the PA when the ship was in dry dock for some refitting and when he came back it was one of those Bose systems. He loved it. Great sound, small footprint and easy to work with. Of course, that is the perfect place where the system is designed to work. Low volume because people want to be able to talk and have fun without yelling over the music. Especially in the lobby or central concourse. In the dance clubs, he could crank it up and it apparently did the job there as well with the addition of a sub for the dancers.

He played those ships for almost 20 years. They canceled his contract before he hit the big 20 so they didn't have to pay retirement to him. He's still in the South Florida area clubbing it as a solo artist.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.