Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
I do have to say I hear a lot of rationalization for why you can't make money playing out live.

I know of several bands local to me, and I'm not in some big metro area, that do decent.

One band specifically pulls in well over 100k a month. They do some really creative things to make that. Things most bands don't do. That's why they make what most bands never do.

Of course, there are many other bands that don't share their initiative and don't have those financial rewards. They may not be looking for that though.

I think it comes down to goals, a plan, noticing if it's working, and change what isn't.

What is the name of that 100K/month band?

I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps local to where you're at but with a record deal and on some major tours selling merchandise at the shows. Well over $100k a month is not a local band. That's a band with national reach, radio play, and some big names and credits. That's over $25k a week. They are not gigging at the local watering hole.

If you live in Nashville, I'm sure there's a few bands that make $1.2 million a year. Your average "local" band is lucky to gross $40k a year.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.