Quote:
The videos on pgmusic.com are several years out of date and mostly worthless to a new user.

I appreciate that at first glance, this might seem to be the case. The reason that the older videos are still there is because the aspect of BIAB that they are detailing has not been changed. When program operations change, PG Music remove those videos that are no longer relevant.

There is certainly a learning curve associated with coming to grips with BIAB. That said, the basic approach to getting a song happening is straightforward.

Can I help in some way to get things happening for you? What would you like to achieve?

After being on these forums for a number of years, there are a couple of things that I've noticed that seem to cause huge hurdles for those starting out and are best avoided in the early stages of learning the software. These hurdles are...

HURDLE 1: Thinking of BIAB's chord grid in terms of a piece of sheet music.

Rather than the above, it's better to think of BIAB as a band performance that plays from beginning to end and enter the chords accordingly. Initially, don't try to create repeats and codas (etc.). Simply enter the chords as they would be played in a live setting, start to finish.

Once this starts to make sense, then, if you want, try using repeats, codas, etc. Personally, I prefer using BIAB without these because it gives me much more control over the arrangement. I always work with the linear format.

HURDLE 2: Trying to achieve advanced techniques without first developing an understanding of how BIAB is designed.

Initially, the best approach is...

a) Type in chords.

b) Save the file so that if something unexpected happens it's easy to get back the chord sheet.

c) Select a style to play your chord sheet.

d) Press Generate/Play.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. If you want to hear how BIAB can sound, have a listen to some of my songs in my signature.

Also, the Users Showcase contains links to the work of many BIAB enthusiasts.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024