Back in January 2012, with Pat Pattison's permission, I put together a web-forum for a small number of local friends and me to work through Pat's then newly-released book, "Songwriting Without Boundaries".

The book contains 56 days of exercises that are designed to help lyricists: (a) enhance their lyric writing; (b) find their unique lyric voice.

All up there are four challenges and each one takes 14 days to work through. These challenges are...

• Challenge 1 (days 1 - 14): Object writing practice from the perspectives of WHAT, WHO, WHERE and WHEN
  • Challenge 2 (days 15 - 28): Creating metaphors from semantic collisions between adjectives, nouns and verbs
  • Challenge 3 (days 29 - 42): Developing more advanced word skills with metaphors and extended metaphors
  • Challenge 4 (days 43 - 56): Writing in rhythm and rhyme

The website from 5 years ago still exists and in around a week's time, I'm going to begin once more working through these tasks of Pat's. Even though they require significant commitment, I know from experience that the gain from doing them is substantial.

It's not necessary to own Pat's book to be involved. While having it will definitely help, the web site does contain sufficient instructional information.

So.... If you are interested in joining the journey, please send me a private message and I'll forward the necessary information.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024