Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
An interesting parallel to me in your musical craft is the maturity I see between you as a songwriter and a songwriter with Band in a Box.

You with Band in a Box is similar to the change of Lennon and McCartney and George Harrison when they transitioned from a touring band to a studio band with unlimited time in the studio. Their creativity was not fully released nor realized until they abandoned touring and went full time into the studio to play and experiment.

I'm unsure if your weak link to greatness might be nothing more than you haven't been harnessed by someone like George Martin as they were. Over time, we learned George Martin was much more instrumental and influential than what was once thought. I think Band in a Box is your Abbey Roads Studio.

This song is a great example of you experimenting and playing around, testing the bounds of what you can pull out of BIAB and doing this with more complexity and creativity than you realize. You can be quirky, funny and serious with your lyrics and creative in your musical arrangements. This song is a great example of you and your music. Band in a Box is more than a tool to you, it's your creative gateway.

Charlie

Charlie, this is just about the most most amazing thing I have ever read with regard to Band in a Box, my musical journey, and my use of Band in a Box.

PG Music, feel free to excerpt this anywhere you want. smile

Charlie, this is so insightful I don't even know where to begin but I will take a stab.

First I am a huge Beatles fan, and of McCartney in particular. Pre-Box in a Box (i.e. before Herb Hartley told me to get out my credit card and it would be the best move I ever made) I was always very frustrated in getting the sounds I wanted as an artist.

From my very first package (2014 basic pack with maybe 29 Real Real Tracks) I felt like a kid in an Indiana Jones movie stumbling into a treasure cave with the lost fortune of a Pharaoh. I was stunned and said to myself "Oh My God, there's no limit now. There really is no limit. Look at all those piles of gold. Holy cow."

It did not take long to get my credit card back out and order the ultra pak, and soon came the audiophile versions and every VST known to man.

So, yes, absolutely, I am totally obsessed with the worlds, galaxies, parallel universes, and distant planets Band in a Box has made available. There is no question that the tool (as a virtual studio) has become my songwriting partner and producer. On this song, I wrote a piano riff, asked the program what I was doing and it kinda suggested the chord progression. How much more George Martin or Abbey Road can you get?? Even my brother (who is a professional producer) said the same thing. He said: "It looks like you managed to cram Abbey Road into one room here dude."

So yeah, I am composing with a robot for a buddy, but loving every single second of it, and completely, madly obsessed.

I would also say, just hang on man. You ain't seen nothing yet. I'm just getting warmed up.

smile

Thanks a billion for the comments Charlie. They really blew me away. Very insightful.