Larry,

I'd say the answer to your question is a definite YES. While I haven't played with the thumbdrive feature yet, the clip I posted above "Not Everyday Was Sad" was created by playing a full audio mix (created with BIAB) directly from Reaper into the VL3X using the "DAW TRACKING" mode and singing along to create the harmonies. The VL3X recognized the key and created the correct harmonies which were then sent back to Reaper for recording on a new track. The only adjustment to the new recorded track is to line it up properly with the other tracks since there's about a 70 millisecond delay created during the roundtrip of your vocal when recording. Easy stuff.

The only difference between what I did and your question is the SOURCE of the audio file i.e the thumbdrive. However I think with regard to the thumbdrive, the source audio file has to be MP3 or WAV (16bit/48khz). The VL3X will convert other resolutions which takes time. If you're only using the backing track to sing along with your BIAB created tracks an MP3 you will save space and should be sufficient quality for the purpose. Check the VL3X manual link in this thread to learn more about the BACKING TRACK feature which includes use of the thumbdrive as the audio source. In my experience the VL3X will recognize a full mix audio file and create the proper harmonies no matter the source of the "guide audio".

Cost is a very real consideration for this piece of gear. I still have another three weeks to evaluate it before I have to make the decision to keep or return it. A lot of vendors offer that option. However, after only a few days with it I'm about 90% sure I'll keep it. I know it's hard to believe it will do what it claims, but it does. I was skeptical too. Pretty amazing stuff. But not anymore so than BIABs ability to take a Real Track production and change the key and the tempo and still sound great. "What'll they think of next?!" (common old-person rant)

Hope this helps.

Rob grin

Last edited by Rob Buford; 07/03/17 03:02 AM.