Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Noel, your uplifting attitude is perfect for this style. Pro sounding production. Very well written and performed. This is among your very best. I can't think of any way to improve it. Perfectly executed, Tom

Noel... I agree with each point that Tom made.

This is exceptionally well done in all regards.

Your voice is perfect for this type of song - and the vocal is really well recorded, processed and mixed. It sounds "natural", easy, comfortable... perfect.

The arrangement is beautiful. The piano/bass/drums combination is the perfect bed. The added strings are INCREDIBLY well done. The walk up with the chord progression is perfectly supportive - then the "swirly" fill to the next line is a delight to the ear...as is the figure into the next chorus... nice work!!! And an excellent mix...

I would guess you spent some time getting the fiddle to play that solo - it sounds custom made for the song.

This is one of your best writes! Very solid. The opening line...
"I like walking beside you"
...stands alone nicely - to announce what is to follow. It SINGS so nicely.
The quick rhymes that follow (each time) give the ear new joy.
The resolving rhymes - day/may/okay - glue it all together even tighter.
(best/blessed/quest/zest is nice!)

The simple positive images that anchor the song are nicely woven throughout.
A "natural" feeling song start to finish...

An excellent listen! Does not matter if you "win" the contest. This is already a BIG WIN - what better reward than a beautiful song?!

fj

Hey floyd!

Thanks for popping in. I always smile when I see your name appear in one of my threads smile

I'm glad that you and others mentioned the vocal. This time around, I didn't process too much at all. I throttled back on pretty much all effects. Even though I used a Nectar preset to start with, I reduced the compression significantly, didn't have too much EQ and added a touch of reverb. That was pretty much it.

Thanks for noticing the rhymes too! I used the day/may/okay rhymes for keeping the end of sections tidy and giving them a closed feel. The other quicker rhymes just seem to develop because they felt right.

In relation to the fiddle, I was lucky. I didn't do any RT surgery. Because I create my songs in BIAB, I always regenerate the song every time I run through it. This means that the tracks end up getting regenerated heaps of times. Whenever I hear something I like, I always save the track to wav. In this instance, the solo was a complete track generation. All I did was use a bit of volume shaping to adjust phrasing a little.

I really appreciate your thoughts.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024