Hello, Paul:

This is very nice work, and a truly professional application of our beloved software. I would not fault the mix in any way, and it's a great song by a great vocalist -- you should sell some records.

I would suggest, however, some thought to dynamics. As you know, pro recordings (read: 'commercial') have, for a long time, relied on increasing volumes, complexity, accents, and modulations as the song progresses. This track is very nice all the way through, but that may be a problem -- it's pretty much the same, all the way through. It kind of lacks dynamics. Now maybe that's exactly what you are going for, being as this is a Willie tune, but if I were producing it (I emphasize that I am not a producer), I might consider a couple of things.

I was looking for a key modulation for the final verse, like so many pop and country ballads. Your singer is great, and it sounds like she had a much wider range than is being used here, and could crank up the pitch a half or a full step. This should be easy to do with BB.

Along with that, she seemed to be sort of laying back -- she sounds like the kind of singer that can really belt it out in a club, and some of that would have been nice as the songs builds toward a climax.

In the same vein, I was also looking for some increasing dynamics in the instrumentation -- some heavier pickup percussion -- tom toms, cymbals, whatever fits, and perhaps increasing drama or addition of other instruments as well.

Realize that these are thoughts about taste, and more than that, about what seems to sell, commercially. Take it with a grain of salt. All in all, this is really really nice.

By the way, Paul, are you the same Paul Young that made that great recording several years ago about the woman who habitually shoplifted at the butcher shop, "Every time you go away, you take a piece of meat with you."?

Best,

Brad -- My FAWM