Hi All
I must have too much time on my hands but Ive been practicing mastering with Ozone 7 from Izotope.This was me just messing around so its not scientific at all .Here is what I did:
I took tracks from ABBA and remastered them as best I could.I was surprized by a few things and here is what I found
1:What was going on at the sides of the stereo field.The things they put in that weren't obvious when listening to the complete track.Like harmonies,strumming etc.
You could listen to their panning fairly clearly.
2:How much you could improve what was mastered perfectly at the time.
It was like taking a layer of dust of a record ,sound wise.I'd be interested if anyone has done the same with other artists CDS.
3:The problem that arizes is that the wavs are so Compressed fully. So what I ended up was not using the Maximizer Compressor to compress and turning off the highest band on the Dynamics module as that High band seemed to be adding alot of noise and lowering the quality.The less compressed the song the more improvement you could make ,for instance Dancing Queen was compressed to the last and the improvement was less.
4:The loudness was already in the song anyway so I only compressed the individual bands lightly but by working on the sides you could bring out all those lovely sounds and the Transient Shaper module really worked well also.

Anyway my definition of improvement was that the tracks had more clarity and you could bring out the more hidden aspects and Izotope Ozone definitely does that.The increase clarity wasnt small either it was quite alot,If anyone has done this Id be interested in what ur process was etc ,urs Hugh