Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I can clearly hear the difference between CD and DVD quality audio, but only on a good sound system in a good room.

This is the most important thing to talk about before even starting a discussion like this. Over on Keyboard Corner, guys post excruciating details about the subtleties of this sound library or that hardware synth but that's not the worst. The worst is the Hammond B3 organ clone fanatics. They go crazy over tiny little details in the sound. Nobody mentions what they are listening through until I, ahem, bring it up. Then we find some are using $50 computer speakers, others are using consumer home theater setups you get at Best Buy, others use their PA speakers like JBL Eons for home monitoring, Roland KC500's etc. All of that totally sucks for trying to test out audiophile level sound. A few though say they have a pair of Genelec's or Adam's or like me an awesome pair of Altec Model 14's that had a list of $2,899 EACH in 1984. I picked them up used several years ago. Those people I'll listen to when they say one thing sounds better than another.

Our long time (and no longer posting) forum friend Mac used to post a lot about this and he also posted details about how he built his own killer speaker systems for cheap. It's usually not cheap to get that sound quality but he was an expert.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 10/10/17 04:51 AM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.