Originally Posted By: AlastairLC
I hope we’re not limited in our musical tastes by our own generation. Mozart has lasted over 200 years; Cole Porter for 80.

Very true but when was Mozart last played live in a bawdy house or nightclub? Back in the day he was just another performer looking for a gig. All classic music whether it be modern classics or classiCAL music from 200 years ago eventually stops being performed in common places and is only played on special occasions in concert to a select crowd. Jazz is already heading that way and classic rock from the 60's-70's will soon follow.

Eddie nailed and so have I every time this subject comes which is quite often around here. It's purely generational.

My favorite example is the Roaring 20's flapper music like stride piano, the Charleston dancing and all that. I'm fairly sure without actually knowing your background that you didn't care for that stuff when you heard your grandmother talking about it or playing it at her house when you visited them. The old folks from that era hated the big bands. It sounds unbelievable now but it's true. I remember my grandfather talking about it. He loved music in his day but he was a WW1 Marine born in 1897. His musical era in Detroit was the 20's and he couldn't stand Glen Miller or Benny Goodman much less Ellington and my grandmother was an original Flapper. She had a dance studio and taught the Charleston.

Everybody thinks their tastes don't stink while everybody else's does.

You know how all of us can go into great detail about this band or that band from 40 years ago? How they changed when so and so left or died? This album had that drummer and that one a different drummer and what a difference it made? I could go on and on with examples of that. Well, I'm a big Lakers fan and I listen to sports talk radio a lot here in LA. The jocks are all younger guys in their mid 30's. They make musical references all the time because part of their talk includes all the stars who showed up at the games last night.

They're all artists you, I and about 90% of this forum have never heard of yet it's obvious they're huge in the industry. The sports jocks will talk about their latest records in exactly the same way we used to. They talk about how he or she changed their rap style from what they did 5 years ago and what a huge difference the new producer made, they know all about it, all the littlest details just like we did with "our" artists. You really want to feel old? Listen to young people talk about their music and all the artists. I don't mean simply tuning them out, I mean really listen. Talk about feeling like the proverbial fifth wheel. All I can do is wait for that to finish and get back to talking about one of the Lakers players or the next game or whatever.

Which part of modern music is going to last, what will be played in special concerts 50 years from now? I don't have a clue, none of us will be around to see it anyway so who cares? I know one thing, I have faith in Western civilization and all of us in general. They'll figure it out and be happy about it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.