Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
<...snip...> Guessing what the mix should be when you're putting backing tracks together at home is the real hang up for most people. You've been doing it for so long Notes you simply know what it should be but most folks have no idea. <...>

Bob

I have the same model mixer in my studio and I bring in my PA active speakers. But the studio is small and has different reflective characteristics.

Most of the times I hit the mix first time (thankfully), but even with my experience and gear sometimes I get on the gig and think, "It needs a little more of this or a little less of that." Sometimes it's just a perceived volume difference, "I could pump that up 3db or take it down a couple." So I remix to correct.

The audience probably doesn't know the difference, but I do, and if I'm lucky I'll get to play that song thousands of times for many years to come. I want it to be as good as I can get it. Plus with a 'book' of over 550 songs, I want them to be 'mastered'/balanced very well.

I have pride in my work, I'm picky about my music, and I want it to be right. If it isn't right for me, it isn't good enough for my audience.

Of the few that I miss, it usually gets fixed the first remix. On rare occasions it takes more, and that is often a song with unusual instrumentation. I think the record is 5 tries to get it as close to perfection as my skills allow.

There is always something new to learn with music.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks