A on my 2TB drives takes WELL over 5 hours, but there should have log

look in the Event viewer: run "eventvwr" look in Windows Logs -> Application and wait for it to update then look for event with source called chkdsk I guess date would have been yesterday(?)

In one case with a one bad sector it took closer to six hours but it was in a non-critical location (non-OS related).

That's why use the additional /C and /I switches (at first) - it may miss something on first run but it will find big problems a lot faster (MINUTES not hours).

But it sounds like a configuration (registry muck up)/conflict with other SW (other A/V and malware and firewalls) and/or Services issue(s) at this point, especially since you ran CHKDSK twice (before and after re-image) and you have already run SFC before with no issues

I think I missed the details on Windows Defender - you turned it off " or your OTHER A/V turned it off? In my case when I install my A/V install it turned off that part of windows defender ditto my firewall. Only thing I tuned off was the "App & browser Control" section (you don't need even more interrupts running) as well as "Family Options" but that's Win. Def. in update 1703

I Haven't allowed update 1709 on yet and I just put 1703 (spring update) on two weeks ago - and it was a much different Defender than were previous two (1603? or 1507)

hope you find it and squash it

Larry

==========
no help to you but I have multiple boot drives so I boot into Win 7 to run CHKDSK c: /f /r on my Win 10 drive (no need to use the dismount switch /X) and it actually runs faster, I reverse it for Win 7 drive - run chkdsk from Win 10.

Won't work from my Win XP drive becasue I have to hide both the Win 7 and Win 10 drives from Win XP (otherwise Win XP overwrites those OSs' restore points) - but WIN 7 and Win 10 see and can perform checks on the WIN XP drive.

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 11/01/17 09:01 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20