Yes. You are correct. You totally nailed it. I want to record the Proteus playing MIDI tracks into Real Band or Power Tracks. The Proteus rear panel has mono, stereo, and/or four individual sub-outputs. I guess I could go stereo, or two tracks at a time to save money. But, I'd probably be happier with at least four inputs on the audio interface. I didn't plan on recording vocals and guitar along with the MIDI simultaneously. Just lay down the Proteus tracks and build from there.

And, someday I might want to play MIDI tracks live in a band or solo setting as backing tracks, etc. Two seperate scenarios. Although, I think if I were to use the Proteus for backing tracks, I would do all the work at home and save it as a .wav or .mp3 file and play that to avoid a "overly complicated, prone to possible failure" situation.

Thanks for your input. I'll have to raise my price range for sure. Any other insights?

Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
When you say you want to record midi from an old proteus clarify that a little more. I think you might mean you want to record the audio from the proteus playing back midi data. If that is the case the 2i4 may not have enough audio input channels for you to do voice and guitar and proteus simultaneously.