Hi rharv and thanks very much for your reply. I'm sorry to report that, at this point, it isn't making much sense to me at all. And I have a DAW background -- Cakewalk Pro Audio and Sonar and more recently PreSonus's Studio One 3. Now, I'll admit that I frequently get confused with Sonar because of its complexity, so I'm not unused to being stumped.

Okay, I made all BB tracks regular tracks. But where you lost me was at the Ports part. I called up a song that I had saved as a .seq file since I was planning on doing a fair amount of work to it in RB. Clicked on the Melody track, which is the first one I'd like to associate with a synth. Did the right click thing and found Port:17>>CoyoteWT<< in the menu bar. Ran my mouse over that and a dropdown appears with 16 Microsoft GS Wavetable Synths, then the >>CoyoteWT<<, which is indicated with a dot, then 16 DXi/VSTi Synths followed by another >>CoyoteWT (Default)<< that has not been indicated. Below that are two more menu choices, which open up their own dropdowns: Load DXi/Vsti Synth into unused Slot, and Load DXi/VSTi Synth into specific Slot. CoyoteWT is selected in both cases.

So what I did was click on one of the DXi/VSTi tracks, which generated a DirectX/VST Window -- a familiar sight at least. So I plugged in what I wanted as far as DX's go, and I was gratified to hear that only the melody instrument was being "affected" by these effects. I went ahead and configured another VST for the melody, but I am using Coyote as a synth for two other instruments, assigning it to a separate track number with each and each is being affected by its effects separately. This is what I was trying to do at the outset. So that's mission accomplished for me. But I don't understand what you have going on by assigning another instance of the synth to that same track. Why?

This may make sense to you, but right now to me, it's about as clear as mud. So I reckon I'll be doing stuff by rote for a while in RB. Till I get a feel for it -- hopefully.