Originally Posted By: Trygve Larsen
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
It's not quite as you have described it. Yes, we want a 64-bit BIAB, but it's not always clear to everyone why.

A 32-bit app can only address 4 GB of RAM, true, and some of that (around a GB) is taken up by Windows leaving at best 3 or 3.2 GB free for programs. Yes, BIAB is a 32-bit program. No, it is not always limited to using the 3 GB RAM described, because of the JBridge utility. JBridge allows BIAB to use all of your added RAM if you are using a plugin. Plugins are the main reason people want a 64-bit program, but BIAB found a way around that.

All this assumes you are not limited by a 32-bit Windows anyway, but if you recently bought your desktop, it probably uses 64-bit Windows.

Ah, ok.. Thank's a lot for jumping in Matt! Now I understand more of it here. What I did wrong when I downloaded Kontakt, or when I installed it, I think, was just selecting the 32 bit version, because I was thinking, no need to use JBridge if I use the 32 bit versjon. Because I did not know that would do anything different, then being able to use a VSTi if it was only available as a 64 bit...

So now I have to try to install the 64 bit Kontakt and use JBridge, to see if that will solve this problem...

Again, thank's a lot for jumping in here...;)

Using the 32 bit Kontakt is your problem. Both BiaB and Kontakt are sharing that 3K of ram and Kontakt patches can take a lot of that. So if you have a patch or a number of patches that eat a lot of ram that leaves very little ram left for BiaB.

The workaround is to install the 64 bit Kontakt and use jBridge. This way Kontakt is using all of your available ram, leaving plenty of ram for BiaB.

FWIW this is one of the reasons I have been wanting a 64 bit BiaB as problems like this would not exist.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware