Originally Posted By: Lesley55
Thank for this. Is the beat cursor the yellow vertical bar?
I found I can edit notes in notation view, but not add new ones.

Yes. The yellow vertical bar is the cursor that progesses with the beats.

In relation to adding notation when in Notation View, it's necessary to switch to Editable Notation Mode. This is the option shown on the image below as '2'.

Originally Posted By: Lesley55
Another unrelated question:
Often with, say, 4 by 4 timing the first bar has only one beat, and the last bar has only 3 beats. How can I make BIAB do that? And how can I make the last bar look like a last bar (thick and thin lines at the end of a bar).

The "(first bar) + (last bar) = (whole bar)" scenario is a convenient notational technique. It is not how songs are performed. Rather, it simply summarises the performance and collects repetitive sections into a single 'once through' with repeats.

Using the above it's possible to summarise (for example) a 96 bar performance into the repetition of 6 lots of 16 bars. Thus the musician is can play the entire song from a mere 16 bars of notation with repetition.

A long time ago, I decided to stop using BIAB from a notation perspective and to use it from a performance perspective.

Thus, for me, a song that requires 96 bars would be laid out as a single chorus that's 96 bars long. That way, I have complete control over every aspect of how the the 96 bars are performed. Using copy and paste, it doesn't take too much time to set out a song as a 'once through' performance.

Have a look at the below song of mine on Vimeo. It's a video of how the chord sheet progresses as the song plays. This is what I mean by a 'once through' performance.

CAN YOU IMAGINE
https://vimeo.com/143978481

Thanks for having a listen to "This Road". I appreciate the comments. I'll go back through my song's creation and see if I used a style (I don't usually). I'll put my thoughts about styles and how I find instruments in a subsequent post in this thread.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024