Bob

Are talking to me or OP or?

I don't have a problem (unless you're talking about my drinking, weight, age, eyesight, cholesterol, tinnitus, angina, A1C, prostate,...)

I use compression, on guitar, for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with levels or gain staging.

I do it for feel and tone when recording via my rack gear. I use a Lexicon Signature 284 amp in a my rack and you would think that you'd get actual natural tube compression out of those EL84's, and you do, but when recorded it's just a little too "un-amp" like, so a "very SMALL touch of this and a TINY dab of that (Brylcreem anyone? wink )" makes all the difference.

I don't find I need to add compression when mic'ing amps (using a standard run-of-the-mill 'ol SM57) for more "conventional amps" (e.g., Juke 1210, GA RVT19, etc. or, ironically, even something like a solid state Cube 80GX).

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20