Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Originally Posted By: joden
I wonder why some folks do have issues? Maybe they tinker with things thinking it "should be done" cause Fred Blogs said it's totally necessary" - and perhaps they don't really have a clue about what they are doing wink I dunno...

My thoughts too and I'm posted this before. Obviously we're not there, we don't know the details but those who have these problems seem to be the tweakers who have an issue with Microsoft and like to do their own thing with their PC especially with the updates. I've been on this forum for about 10-12 years now, all of my systems have been bone stock with automatic updates. Years and years of that. Never had any of these problems including right now this morning. I've just moved and don't have my Steinberg interface plugged in yet, it's still packed in a box. Maybe I have to reinstall the drivers, we'll see.

Bob

Not necessarily Bob. I do no tweaks other than keeping my USB ports always on in my Internet computer. The latest update deleted all of my tiles in the start window and replaced them with MS stuff that I never use. It also turn on the USB power save option. The update prior to this messed up my video drivers and I had to reinstall them. I have read that I am not alone with these problems.

Note that this computer is custom made with quality off the shelf components, i.e. no proprietary stuff.

I have to agree with MarioD on this one.

Bob your good experience with updates in no way diminishes the real woes of others.

As you’ve seen me post, I love to hack the CRAP out of my Win 10 Pro as I did all previous OS's (config files, registry hacks, Services manipulation, bit and byte changes to .exe's and dlls, decompiles/recompiles ... (on my desktop and laptop). a PC is like a burger from Burger King (I want it my way). I am a GEEK that goes back to Altair 8800 kit days (my first actual "computer")!

Even though I hack it to death so far all Win 10 updates on my laptops And desktop have been straight forward and "hitch" free, expect for all the things I have to re-do or undo that MS adds or subtracts, while a nuisance, I just chalk it up to the “cost of using Win 10” now.

HOWEVER, my poor older brother is not a geek or hacker – he’s barely PC literate. He has a simple COTS (commercial-off-the-shelf) Win 10 HOME PC. Only thing hooked to it is a USB mouse, keyboard, printer and small LED monitor. It's and i7, 1TB, 8GB COTS from 5 years ago. He does NO hacking, no DAW, no MUSIC, no Netflix, no streaming, no gaming, no exotic applications, no extra TSR software, or changing of anything - he wouldn’t know how or why.

The most complex thing he has installed is MS Office 2010 Pro (a legal paid for copy I gifted him) and some Kodak photo editing SW.

Everything else is as MS left it as of last update (1703) back in Oct'ish.

With 1709 (BTW, I hate Win 10 HOME because you have so little control - I only run Pro) for over two weeks I've been trying to help him (over phone and that’s like brain surgery blindfolded with a nurse trained in Swahili from Zimbabwe) and that is truly frustrating for me and him. He has almost ZERO knowledge beyond: turn on the PC, wait for boot, then point & click, fill in the info, or do what screen says - he probably should have bought Crapple. He's a PC novice but he's no dummy he was a Net Jets and ExceJets expediter and an A&E qualified aircraft mechanic.

This latest POS 1709 gets to ~80'ish % (yes, like you read about in many places on web) then it 1) HANGS the computer and reverts to previous install (1703), or 2) simply hangs the computer and does nothing for over a day then reverts, or 3) worse and it's done this twice - it wiped out (as best I can tell his MBR and corrupts UEFI- BIOS!) . In the latter case, he couldn't boot into Safe mode or ANY mode - there was no OS OR HD! (the update actually changed the UEFI, the UEFI - WTFO!). Windows repair disk and other repair disks I had him previously prepare couldn't fix it (had to manually reset UEFI over phone, since UEFI was all "Greek" to him, may as well been a preschooler looking at hex code converted down to octal, he had to send me UEFI screen shots over his phone!). Thank God you Acronis!

I've tried about 70% of the web suggestions (many from Win 10 forums and WIN 10 "help" at MS site) – e.g., turn off and uninstall all AV, firewalls, unplug everything, clean boot, SCF/ SCAN now, DSIM…., blah, blah, blah..... we're still working it - but we are taking a break until after Xmas - good because I'm worn out.

Bottom-line: yes most, maybe even virtually all, updates are "easy-peasy" but when they are not they can be a nightmare. And frankly these FEATURE updates (and that is what 90% of 1709 is) are NOT part of a better security system and are NOT NEEDED. MS should stay 100% focused on SECURITY fixes and safety net changes and mods to underlying OS - NOT on how to "finger paint on the screen better," "talk to Cortana to get latest Anime movies (or the really enlightening NBC/MSNBC propaganda that pops to top of headlines,) or how to get more games on Xbox through your PC.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 12/22/17 11:19 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20