Quote:
I also know well what you mean. Jazzman is referring to expanding the BIAB song form, to change what may be three choruses (in the jazz sense) to only one. You make one long song and do what you want. At present that’s the only way to do it when the solo section chords are different.

Thanks Matt.

I think what I quoted above is basically what I am doing with my file which I name "Songname_FakeBookCode_1Solos.MGU". It starts out as an exact duplicate of the "Songname_FakeBookCode_MOC.MGU" except I make them different as shown below.

"Songname_FakeBookCode_MOC.MGU" (MOC means melody outside chorus)
Chorus is the solo section only (melody #1, one solo, melody #2).
The chorus repeat is set to two or more times.
Melody #2 is a tagged ending.

"Songname_FakeBookCode_1Solos.MGU"
Chorus is the whole performance of the song (melody #1, one solo, melody #2).
There is only one execution of the performance/chorus.
There is no tagged ending.

As as stated above, my master file of songs has either of these file names.
As each jam approaches I clear the jam schedule part of the database to get it ready.
As members initiate songs they get dropped into the Jam schedule part of the database with the same BIAB file name.
When I first start my checklist to perform the song it warns me that the file name has MOC or 1Solos.
I discuss the solos with the players early and I adjust to the file type I need (1Solos or MOC).
I restart the checklist and the warning is bypassed this time.
The checklist actually has a step that calls the correct BIAB file (no special button click).
When the BIAB program comes up if the file is MOC I am again reminded to adjust the number of chorus repeats to match the number of solo repeats we need.

Your ideas of having separate charts for the solo is interesting. In our jam group I suppose an individual member could decide to do that. I should put in in my email since some may find it helps them.

Last edited by bowlesj; 12/31/17 08:21 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles