Do what you want but my recommended bottom line:

If it’s an older AMP (one like yours) and it has 2 prong plug THEN CHANGE IT TO 3 PRONG!

YOU WILL NOT HURT VALUE! If paranoid KEEP old cord, the OLD cap (and make notes on where and how it was connected) and don’t drill any new holes in chassis or make any other UN-reversible or cosmetic changes – it can be restored to original configuration in about 30 minutes (and that includes a coffee break while soldering iron heats up).

I think you already know this but that particular cap has ZERO impact on audio path – so removing it has no, zip, zero, nada, nein, audible impact. It CANNOT affect audio because it is NOT in signal path.

MarioD has best suggestion (I should have stressed this last night):

TAKE IT TO A PRO. They can make it SAFE and in a way that allows it to be completely reversible (but I doubt that will ever be an issue or even come up if you try to sell it later).

The plus side of taking it to a Pro they can evaluate and, if it has not been done in last 30+ years, its probably also time for a re-cap job anyway.

Good Luck
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20