Ahhh yes... the dastardly "song sharks" of yester-year.

They are still out there with a different angle. They search the music posting sites, telling you how much they love your song. They will always tell you how good you are before they ask you for the money to "demo" the song. Many beginners, hearing how hard it is to get songs out, fall for the BS and get sucked in.

Many years ago I wrote a few co-writes with a guy who had a dozen boxes of records he got as a result of buying into the scam. His song was one of a dozen others on the record. Famous unknown writers from Nashville or some similar name is what they named the album. Supposedly sent "hundreds" of copies out to radio stations across America and I guarantee that not a single one ever got played one time.

I worked with what appeared to be a legit publisher. He used the Songwriter's guild song contracts..... once upon a time "THE" contract to sign for a single song. He signed 2 or 3 songs and had one set up to be recorded. Some time later, I got a contract from him that said essentially, he could make me a star in Nashville. There were 3 levels..... the $25k level, the $50k level and the practically guaranteed success level of $100k. They all involved sending him large sums of money for Nashville coaching, recording, writing sessions, and a few record company showcases. The contract was worded carefully so that you thought you were going to be the next big thing but the words weren't exactly saying that. Needless to say, I had a good laugh and filled the papers away chalking that one up to just another scam looking for a sucker with deep pockets.

Most of the scams want you to pay for the demo session to make your song sound professional. You have to wonder about the character of musicians who know they're working in such a studio. And it doesn't matter how sucky and amaturish (poorly written) your song is.... they will convince you, or at least try, that your song is so amazingly wonderful and destined to be song of the year, and win a grammy.......if you'll just send the money for this demo session.....

a few words to the wise:

Do legitimate publishers ever solicit songs through the mail or by advertisements? NO.
The legitimate publisher never solicits songs through the mail or by advertisement. As it is, the publisher is being besieged night and day by aspiring songwriters, both professional and amateur. If anything, he suffers from a superfluity of material. To solicit songs by mail or advertisement would only be adding to his troubles.

Will publishers pay any attention to songs "serviced" or submitted by song sharks? NO.
The only answer to this question is a quite definite "NO." The publisher is doing everything in his power to enlighten the general public about the activities of the song sharks and will do nothing that in any way might encourage their activities. If a song is submitted by a song shark, or if it shows that a song shark has had anything to do with its construction, the legitimate publisher will immediately throw it out.

Why is it not only foolish but dangerous to do business with song sharks?
The song shark operates on a "wholesale" basis. His profit lies in having his work turned out by "hackwriters" cheaply, quickly, and in great quantities. The "hackwriter," or arranger cannot possibly write an original melody for every "song poem" submitted, and often resorts to using parts of copyrighted or published works. If the owner of this "hack" composition should ever have it published or publicly performed, he would run great danger of being sued by the copyright owners on whose works his composition has infringed.

Where can a songwriter obtain information about song sharks?
Such information can be obtained by writing to the Music Publishers Protective Association, the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers, or The Song Writers Protective Association.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/11/18 09:55 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.