Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
I learnt a lot of my mixing from my days as a TV producer recording music for jingles or backing tracks for films.

With a professional desk you can compress the vocal signal before it hits the tape (as it was in my day) or the digital recording. Charlie : I agree. I have a Presonus Eureka Channel Strip that I can send the line out to my Audio Interface when I input my signal or I can use an Aux Send and use it as a post effect.

But once you've recorded a compressed signal that's what you've got. You can't uncompress it.

Charlie : I agree. But the same can be said for the lead guitarist that mic's his amp and records all of his pedal effects and tone. There's nothing wrong with recording the input with effects or dynamic processing as long as the tone and effects are what is desired.

Whether you can compress an incoming signal before it hits the DAW I'm not sure and it will vary from set up to set up. Charlie : You can record across input signal as a channel insert. It can be hardware or software.

Some valve/tube preamps automatically compress the signal anyway and I occasionally use one before inputting an analogue signal for recording as opposed to a digital signal vis USB.

As to mic technique and the proximity effect I've found the booklet that came with my SM58 stage mic and it definitely says closeness boosts bass frequencies - and that would be lost if you reduce gain by standing further from the mic. Charlie : I agree. We are talking about the same thing and it may just be a colloquial difference.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.