Originally Posted By: jcland
Solid State Drive Warning?

I have heard from reliable sources, including drive manufacturer's and defrag software manufacturer's, that you should not defrag a SSD drive as it will shorten the lifespan by the many writes and rewrites that will be going on during the defrag.

This does make sense to me since read and write cycles are not dependent on mechanical parts to seek out data on moving platters.

I have my BIAB on an SSD drive and am hesitant to defrag because of the warnings.

Modern, third party defrag utility programs analyze a drive prior to doing anything. When the program realizes the drive is a SSD the program will automatically use the trim function instead of defrag. I don't know if the built in defrag utility used in Win 8, 8.1 or 10 work this way or not but the defrag in Win 7 does not.

+++ THIS +++ defrag by Auslogic is highly rated and automatically recognizes SSDs.

Note first use may take a few hours if you both optimize and defrag the drive. It's worth the time as doing both will noticeably decrease boot up time.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home