I never learn more until I'm pushed. Sometimes that's self-imposed.

Current person pushing me is our worship pastor. I can play pedestrian electric guitar and electric bass parts, but he is always pushing my abilities farther with harder parts.

Latest was Cissy Strut by the Meters. We always have some kind of snappy tune prior to the service. This is the song that made me realize an old injury on my pinky on my fretting hand needed looking into. The stretch I needed to perform to hit one of the notes in the riff was not possible with my "swans neck injury".

Do you have a way for someone better than you to push you further? Doesn't have to be a teacher, could be a band mate.

10 years ago I was in a band with a person who had a master's degree in guitar instruction from Indiana University.

I had 3 chords and the truth. Well, a million chords if you include barre chords.

Sig (the masters guy) eventually got frustrated with me and showed me the way of simpler chords and inversions and now I rarely barre at all.

I even wrote a blog article about that experience: https://worshipbandwingman.wordpress.com/2015/07/

So, who is pushing you?