I don’t remember why I wrote 202. Perhaps I was mistaken but I remember runnng a patch b that name. Maybe it was another app.

Yes, Safe Boot used to be called Rebuilding the Desktop—which it still does besides resetting paths and repairing Alias icons.

Glad you got it running.

I take care of a large number of Macs. On some of them, I had to reinstall the OS to fix annoying things. Not every system installed properly the first time including my own. I would try booting into the Repair Partition or downloading the complete installer from the App Store.

Note that, if you have a boot drive or partition available with an earlier OS, you cannot boot into the Repair Partitin in High Sierra. Many users think that there is none because of this. I have an external drive with El Cap on it that needs to be powered down and disconnected before I can see the one on my High Sierra drive.

Anyway, I found this out when a couple of Adobe apps didn’t behave so, out of frustration, I did a complete reinstall (of 10.13.1 at the time). Not only did the Adobe apps come back but if fixed things I didn’t know were broken. I have heard similar reports from some of my fellow wizards.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5