Cakewalk is now going to be a part of Bandlab. What they do with it is yet to be determined.

That said.... your present Cakewalk software will continue to run just fine. I'd suggest, if you haven't already done so, to set up a DAW that is a dedicated machine. Preferably off line so it doesn't get automatic OS updates and patches. I did that years ago and my DAW works as well today as it did the day I installed Sonar on it.

Until the computer itself dies, it should continue to run the same way. And even then, as long as I can get parts I can keep it running. Since I have the OS, I can reinstall that to a new machine w/o any issues, or perhaps it might be time to move up to 64 bits if the machine dies..... and when that happens, I'll have a look around at the market to see what's available.

In the mean time.... do good backup on your data. Always save your songs not only in the cakewalk format but also save the individual track files in a folder as waves. With waves, you can import them into ANY DAW and recreate the project if you need to do so. I tend to find that I rarely need to or want to go back to a project once it's completed.

Save as a cakewalk project, save as the individual track files, and save a clean wave of the finished song.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.